Friday, October 31, 2008

What is Your Formula?

I hear it often. "Lisa, how did you do that?" That question is one of the pivotal keys to my becoming a life coach. I wanted to help others "do that"- whatever that was for them.

People are often disappointed with me when I can't answer them the way they want. They are looking for a course that I took, a book I read, an experience I had- that they can replicate to do the same thing. It just doesn't work that way.

Its like asking a painter how they paint or how they become inspired. Its a really hard question to answer.

Or, asking the engineer to explain how they are doing their work- it would take hours, days and maybe weeks. If they give you the broad answer you might be unhappy- you want more- yet you don't want to spend the 4+ years in education that they did learning their trade.

I often say, "that's just who I am and what I do". That isn't good enough for them. They want more. I understand that.

The truth is it comes naturally for me- because of my formula.

I get paid to give advice. And, I'd like to say that I think my advice is spot on at least 90% of the time. How do I derive at such advice- that is successful? Well, the answer is in my formula. We all have one.

The formula includes my 18 years of formal education, the dozens of various courses I took outside of that; my 23 years work experience (yes, I've been working since the age of 12) for small shops and large corporations; my upbringing and background; my voracious learning, observation and reading; my methodology for decision making and processing; the company I keep; my beliefs; my values; my creativity; ..... you see where this is going. Who I am is how I work. A simple answer doesn't exist to "how I do it".

What's your formula? How do you do what you do?

No comments: