Thursday, October 9, 2008

Blinkers are Good Indicators

Part rant. Part lesson.

I am not surprised but still disheartened when I witness bad driving habits. I am angered when those habits border on causing serious injury to someone.

This happens often but is still somewhat humorous to me:
I'm driving along on a 4-lane street. I can tell from my neighbor driver (parallel to me) that they want over, not because their blinker (turn signal) is on, but by the way they are aggressively looking at me and feverishly braking or speeding up (they change their mind and speed every 3 seconds)! I like to think that I am many things to many people. But, a mind reader, sir or madam, I am not! Nor, should I have to read your other signals to know what it is you intend to do. That is in fact, what the great blinker was made for. Use it!

Another day. Another experience.
I was driving somewhere at 6 AM. The only other fool on the road happened to be on my back bumper as though we were in a demolition derby. They were in such a rush I thought they were literally going to run me over. The only person who has a right to drive that way, in my opinion, is someone with emergency lights on their vehicle. Where was he so anxious to go? The gas station. No joke. He pulled into the gas station as I sat at the light. Rather than chance an accident- how about getting up 10 minutes earlier and making the world a little safer? I know I sometimes come up with wild ideas. Just try me.

I think that blinkers are good indicators as to your personality. I believe that people who don't use them believe they are better than everyone else. They think they are better drivers and don't need to use them. They also speed more than those who use their blinkers. The aggression and arrogance seep out in other arenas too. They are in a hurry (yes, their time is more valuable than ours- didn't you know) and they have no problem angering or frightening you to help them move along at a more acceptable pace. (I know, now I sound like I'm 100 years old.)

Do you want to hire these people? Do you want to have them watch your children or coach them? Is one your boss?

I'm a blinker user (full disclosure: 98% of the time). And, I'm proud of it. I'm honest, respectful, cautious and mindful of others, and I don't believe my journey should seriously impact another person. I am NOT in emergency services. I shouldn't drive like I am.

I welcome blinkers in my life. I encourage non-blinkers to anger management and true leadership training. They have a lot of great qualities we can harness once we get them under control.

Thanks for allowing the rant and lesson within. Don't be a non-blinker. Its ugly.

No comments: