Friday, October 17, 2008

Bank Tellers Can't Add- A warning to business owners

An unnerving incident occurred this week that highlighted the decisions we make in business- and how those decisions may be adversely effecting our favorite clients.

I was at my trusty bank, where I have several accounts, and the teller asks if she could assist me with anything else (good move). I said, yes, there was a pesky charge on one of my accounts for a service fee I didn't recognize.

Problem 1: The teller could view the service fee line item but it was not a description of the fee itself- she had to go to a list of fees and match up the amount to see what it could possibly be

Problem 2: Together we deduced that it was a service fee for a deposit, some time ago, where I added the slip wrong- and the teller didn't catch it. So, the incorrect amount was posted to my account only to be later remedied by corporate. Aren't tellers supposed to check your deposits? Isn't that one of the primary responsibilities they have?

Activities like this make me question the business leaders at work. The bank is supposed to be my advisor and manager of my money. I pay them to do so. I trust them to do so. So, when they fail to do so- why and how are they charging me? Outrageous! I told the lovely teller that this error has me reevaluating my banking options. I further thought it was underhanded of them not to have a description in the line item for the service fee- why not be 100% transparent?

Businesses this is a lesson for you. Don't allow someone to tell you that you should charge your clients, additionally, for things that should be staples in your business. Be mindful that your best clients are finicky and will walk if they feel undervalued. Be smart about your fee structures. Be honest and fair in how you treat your clients. But, above all else, do your job and do it with the utmost of integrity!

No comments: