Monday, February 23, 2009

Win by Being Yourself

I was very humbled recently to learn that I was nominated as one of Pennsylvania's 50 Best Women in Business. I've only owned my business for slightly more than a year and a half. That in itself is pretty telling. I've worked very hard during that time. However, more importantly, I believe the award has less to do with my hard work than it does my genuine love for what I do.

When you are doing what you should, naturally, it shows. When you are doing what you love, it shows. You can't fake it. Its transparent.

My nomination came from a woman I met through a mutual business woman and friend. She is an extraordinary business woman who seems to know everyone in our city. She has a knack for identifying smart business women who also LOVE what they do- and they do it well. She selected 4 of these such women to be nominated for the award. I could not be more honored.

I planned my business for a brief 6 months before leaving a corporate climate. I dreamed of each facet of business and developed a game plan for how I'd approach it (even if very naive). But, most importantly, I chose a profession that was a natural fit with who I am and what I already love doing. I believe this was the key to my success.

Take chances. Try something new. But, try to stay true to who you are. Choose a profession that follows your passions, values and ideas. Have fun with it. It will show- and it will help you to be even more successful.

No comments: