Friday, February 20, 2009

First Steps to Getting that New Job

As a coach, I work with a number of people who want to change professions (yes, even in today's climate). We work on identifying the areas they'd like to explore and when they are ready, we begin actively pursuing work in those fields.

I cannot tell you how many times I find people getting caught up in the details way too early. They evaluate a job posting with x-ray eyes and feel that they need to love and embody each detail to even consider it. Save your time! If it fits the field you are looking for and it fits 75% of what you'd be interested in APPLY. The devil is in the details- but that can and will be worked out during and post-interview. If you like them and they like you - there is room for negotiating most of those details anyhow.

Remember, the job description is meant to be an introduction to the job, duties, responsibilities, etc.. Different companies and fields do it differently. Some exaggerate who they want or who they don't to ward off the lazy, less than interested, absolute non-fits, and those they learned painful lessons from in the past. Others low-ball the salaries. Hey, if your going to dream- dream big! "I want the perfect person who will work night and day meticulously and I want them for minimum wage." Still others, the most reputable of firms will be honest and fair in the job ads and descriptions. (And, here's a hint- those are the ones you want to work for.)

How many people do you know who negotiated a higher salary then was originally posted in the job? I know a great many. How many people negotiated work at home hours even when the ad said, no tele-commuting or home offices. Yep, again- quite a few.

Evaluate the opportunity not the details too closely. There will be time to state your case after you've wowed them and you both agree this would be a great match.

A quick and personal story: I was honored to work for a very distinguished firm years ago in the military contracting field. When I left the founder of the firm called me and told me he'd pay me what ever I wanted to stay on board. What ever I wanted? Wow. I asked him why he'd make such a generous offer. I was far from the smartest person on staff or the greatest business generator. He said it was my initiative. I had the greatest initiative he'd ever seen and he wishes he could bottle it. Initiative was never in my job description. It had nothing, on paper, to do with my value, but it was everything to the person who mattered most. I still left by the way. It wasn't about money.

No comments: