Friday, February 13, 2009

This Isn't Your Grandma's World Anymore....

In today's environment you have to think bigger, bolder, more brazen than the next person, if...
  • you want a new job,
  • you really want that client,
  • you want that scholarship, etc...

This isn't the world where you can just send in your resume and land the position. Or, you can just call the prospective client and land the contract. No, you have to use your best ideas today, outside the conventional ones.

First, use your network. Connect to who or what you want through the people you've spend years cultivating relationships with. This helped me get on radio shows and get some of my best speaking opportunities. If you don't have a network, start to build one today.

Second, make yourself unique. This may mean rewriting your resume to really grab attention and drive home your specialities (that match what they are looking for). It also may mean having the marketing materials that appeal directly to that prospective client. This is not the time to be shy or sound like the next gal or guy in line. You have to stand out.

Third, use your tools. Go directly to the client- rather than send a letter or call. Send a package that distinguishes itself- use video, audio clips, posters versus letters... you get my drift. Be big and bold. Be different. Send samples. Send testimonials. Put them in video! Send it FedEx.

Personal Example: I recently created a campaign for major retailer to sell my audio book on World War II. I put together a CD with a video introduction specifically for them, videos of interviews I've done on the evening news and at radio events, and a radio interview. That was in addition to the required items requested in a letter and a sample of the product. I further not only advocated for sale of my audio book, I made suggestions as to how I can help them in personal promotions around the country. I'm sure to get attention. And, it was a lot of fun to put together. I will keep you posted.

No comments: