Friday, January 16, 2009

Putting Life in Perspective

The Miracle on the Hudson is all over the news. As it should be.

The 150 + passengers and crew members are "very lucky" as my partner who works for the FAA put it. As he thought about how lucky they are to be alive, I thought about something else.

I thought about the amazing gift they've been given. The gift of an event, tragic as it was, that allows them to put their life in perspective in a matter of moments. I would imagine for a few months their lives will never be the same. They will look at things differently. They will have a surreal experience of knowing it could have had another outcome.

I know that because I had a similar experience years ago. Anyone who has not genuinely experienced "those moments" when you realized this could be your last breath, may have a hard time following what I'm saying. Those moments feel like an eternity. You think about your loved ones and how they'll morn over how it ended for you. You think about the 1 or 2 people you love more than anything in the world. You'll pray. You'll look at the strangers around you in a new light- if you can see them. You'll feel helpless. At least, I did.

Remember that tomorrow is expected but not guaranteed. Put your life in perspective as though you had 30 days left on this earth- or 30 minutes. What would you do? Say? Be?

Life is really a gift. Let's never forget that.

No comments: