Monday, January 5, 2009

173.2...177...175 ???

There is truth to numbers. Yet, don't let the numbers run you. If no one famous said that yet, let it be said by me now.

Let's talk numbers first.
The other day, perhaps Friday, I weighed myself out of curiosity. The digital scale said 173. Fabulous. This morning it said 177. Not so fabulous. I went back to the scale a little while ago to get my water weight and other measurements via the digital scale. It said 175 and then gave me an error code for the other measurements. So, I will weigh myself at the gym and get new batteries for my scale. What ever the numbers say, I feel awesome!

Why do I feel awesome when the numbers aren't budging?
Its simple. I've reclaimed my life. I'm still hitting the gym at least 5 days a week for one hour each time. I do cardio and strength training. I'm hoping to add some yoga in there this week. And, I've severely modified my eating habits. I'm finally taking full responsibility for everything that goes in my mouth, thus into my body.

Since I last blogged about my weight...
The first week I was good about going to the gym but my food intake was still in need of serious overhaul. The second week I was plagued with a slight injury but very motivated to get back in the gym and get my nutrition on board.

Near the end of the second week I read Skinny Bitch, the book. (Which I recommend with a few caveats. Its not for the faint of heart. It promotes a strictly vegan lifestyle and tells you a million reasons why you should do so. Its for those who are serious about reclaiming their lives and willing to make equally serious changes to their lifestyle.) For me, that book revolutionized my eating habits and thoughts about food. I've been a vegetarian before so it wasn't that far off from what I was used to, although it was years ago. Since reading it, I have maintained a vegan diet with only a few episodes of feta cheese on two of my meals outside the house. I am not opposed to having fish at least once per week- so I doubt I'll stick to a strict vegan diet but I like many of the other vegan choices and believe it will make up at least 75% of my eating habits.

I considered Nutrisystem until I read Skinny Bitch. And, my partner wasn't on board with Nutrisystem- which I would have wanted had I gone with it. He convinced me that we should just make better choices and prepare for meals to cook at home. In hindsight, I wouldn't have been satisfied with Nutrisystem after reading Skinny Bitch. I'm much happier with my current choices.

I added a food log to my outlook notes. I note everything that I eat or drink (outside water- which I drink plenty of anyhow).

I enlisted the help of a professional, Patty Dietz, an exercise physiologist, to give me a FREE one month membership of online health guidance and advice based on my personal needs. If you want to reach Patty please email me.

I can't tell you how good I feel. I think making the food choices that I've made have allowed me to feel better instantly. I was grocery shopping for my new lifestyle last night and enjoying so much of it. I read each label and put it down if it had too much sodium (I had high blood pressure years ago when my weight was higher), too many calories, too much fat in proportion to the calories, not enough nutrition, and if I didn't like any of the ingredients. I feel great about what what went in my cart, my car, my home and ultimately will go into my body.

And, I love going to the gym. The best feeling is when you are in bed and you stretch and you feel a muscle you haven't felt so prominently in ages!

I'm optimistic that the numbers will catch up with how I feel in the weeks to come. I'm not worried. I'm just going to stick to my new food lifestyle and my gym routines. And, I'm going to keep feeling great!

Let me know how you are doing!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm proud of you for posting your progress. I'm almost one year into not smoking and I told myself I had a year of focusing on that only, and then I'd add more to it. Well, I got restless and signed up for a pilates class once a week. Last night's class was SO GREAT that today, I enlisted six co-workers (at my NEW job, mind you) to walk with me twice a week, no matter the weather. Thanks for taking me on your journey and for giving me the motivation to continue my own :)

Lisa Spahr- Helping People and Businesses Grow said...

Corina,
You are too cool for words! I mean that. Congrats on being smoke-free for almost one full year! It was the best thing I had ever done for myself! I took a yoga class the other day... an hour and 45 minutes! Wow. Like your pilates class- it was wildly energizing. Keep it up! It only gets better!
I miss you.
Lisa