Friday, November 21, 2008

Creating Your Plan for 2009

Now is the time to lay out your life map for 2009. Here's an quick step version of how to do that.

  1. Spend some time in thought- what do you want to accomplish in 2009, why, and what are the small steps to get you there
  2. Write down your goals, rationales for those goals, and timelines for the small steps
  3. Tell everyone about your goals. Share your written plan with them so they can support you. Encourage them to have a plan and encourage each other.
  4. You must hold yourself accountable to the steps and timelines- or find someone who will hold you accountable (remember, this is your life- don't cheat yourself out of another year)
  5. Review your goals daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly and annually (depending upon how they are written)
  6. Forgive yourself for minor missteps and get back on the plan immediately (we all eat a little chocolate while on a diet)
  7. Reward yourself for the milestones you achieve
  8. Repeat as necessary

My plan also includes data on my status; what did I accomplish this year; what attributes do I have that allow me to achieve my goals; what am I thankful for; what are my 5 year and life's goals; etc..... This is more like a report or guide versus a single piece of paper. I run my life rather than let life run me. This guide helps me do that.

Happy 2009!

No comments: