Monday, November 24, 2008

176.2

"What on earth is 176.2," you ask? My weight.

I am doing something wild and brazen- as is often the case with me in case you don't know. I am planning to blog every third Monday about my battle with weight- which I intend to win (another thing about me you might not know- I hate to lose).

So, here is our starting point. I say "our" because I am often asked by people how I managed weight loss in the past. So many people, women and men, are on that journey to better health and self-esteem. I encourage you to join me. Comment on your own journey as we go or just check in and use me as your partner on the journey. I'm here to win. I'm also here to help you win.

First, a little history. I was always a fat little girl. My mom was always the slender gal she is today. People often commented on how we didn't appear to share the same genes even though our faces look the same. She put me on diet after diet during my pre-teen years. Nothing worked. Maybe it was the candy she'd give me as she found it hard to deny her only child the sweets other children were getting. (Ironically, I don't like desserts. I'm not a chocolate fan. And, sweets are far from my caloric problem areas.) I recall many a day crying at home on my bed after school because of people making fun of me at school. But, those days are far over. Let's move on.

At the age of 12 I lost 50 pounds in 3 months. I played tennis everyday, however badly. I ate junk (you can do that at 12) and took up other bad habits (which I won't mention here). I entered high school with high self-esteem (although I still felt fat at 130) and tons of positive attention (not sure that was what I needed, but it was the case nonetheless).

As I grew into my 20's the weight slowly came back. In college I was probably 180 or so- but I still felt great and didn't have any self-esteem issues.

It wasn't until 32 my weight became a crisis again. My new doctor alerted me that I had high blood pressure. What? Me? No! My weight was now at 213 (according to his scale) and 209 according to mine. :) I had a big problem, pardon the pun.

So, over the next two years I dropped 62 pounds. I was down to 151 and felt fabulous. Blood pressure was no longer an issue.

Since that time, the pounds have snuck back on. I dropped the ball. I started to eat badly, often. I ignored the gym pass I pay a fortune for. And, I was convinced my fiance was just washing our clothes in hot water. :)

Today's Renewed Determination. I have toyed with renewing my determination to loose weight for a few weeks now - probably more like a few months. But, the kick in the pants you need sometimes comes at odd times that do or do not correspond with your desires. It's here now.

My clothes don't fit the way I want them to. I am feeling bad about my body (which hasn't been the case since I was 12). And, I have a wedding in almost 6 months. So, here goes....

Goal: I will lose 30 pounds (146.2) in 6 months (May 24, 2008).

I will chart my progress on this blog.

I will achieve this goal by hitting the gym 5 days per week for at least 45 minutes per workout (not counting arriving, parking, changing, chatting....). I will make better food and beverage choices starting today: nothing fried, more fish, more veggies, more raw food, less sugar, less bread.....

Join me friends. Let's make this holiday season about our health and well being. Its not going to be easy but its going to be one of the most rewarding things we can do for ourselves.

Yours truly at 176.2
Lisa

No comments: