Thursday, April 2, 2009

Leave on a High Note... Not High!

Those who know me will get my sense of humor in the subject line of this week's blog. Those who don't, forgive me. I love to infuse a little humor in my work.

I tried to remember the last job I left on a bad note. Then it came to me. It was 1988. I was 15. It was my second or third job and I worked as the cotton candy girl at the local amusement park. I made sticky sugary treats all day long. The trouble was that it was the era of big hair too. Sweet, sticky, sugar and big hair attract one thing- bees. I asked to get out of the candy booth several times as I was stung (and threatened) by bees- but no one came. Finally, a group of us decided it was time to hit the big fair, 20 miles away. We tossed our name tags in the stream and hit the road. (forgive me environment) I'm sure my boss was pretty ticked at how we all left. She had a right to be.

Since that time I've always left on a high note. I've almost always been asked to stay- and once told to sign my own paycheck with any amount I'd like. (That was incredible! I still left. You have to know me to understand how that made sense.) I can call up 90% of my old supervisors today and have an hour chat- about anything. I'm very proud of that. Its come in handy several times. Heck, I even found one of my old supervisors a better job!

I encourage you to always land and leave on a high note. In work and in relationships. No one wins when you leave with a sour taste in your mouth- or leave a mess to clean up. You'll be forever remembered by the way you left- far more so than the way you were when you were there. Conflict and disagreement are OKAY and in fact often encouraged for creativity and ingenuity. But, strive to do it professionally. Allow for a cool down period and go back to the person and have a calm discussion. Work hard to find resolution and common ground. You'll be glad you did. Above all things, be honest. Politely honest.

Wishing you high note departures and great relationships.

(This post is a bit early for my normal Friday posting. And, I won't be posting on Monday as usual either. I have a date with the future in-laws. I'll be back online next week.)

Oh, and I expect one of your to request a photo of "big hair Lisa"- I'll try to hunt one down. I'm sure my Mom has one. :)

No comments: