Friday, February 5, 2010

How Many Times Do I Need to Ask?!

I advocate all of my clients, as I do myself, clean out their email boxes. Rid yourself and your box of those lists that you subscribed to eons ago and never read. Sure, you mean to get to them … but you never do. Stop spending precious time receiving, reading the sender and subject line, agonizing over when you’ll get to read them and moving on to the next (without deleting!). Just unsubscribe. Do it today.

All reputable lists and businesses have unsubscribe instructions at the bottom of their messages. Some may be a link to take you somewhere to unsubscribe and others may ask you reply and type “unsubscribe” in the message line. Either way, do it. If the instructions are not there, reply or ask the associated administrator (you can normally find him/her listed on their message or website) to unsubscribe you. Its not personal folks. Its time management. And, it is National Time Management Month.

I was very perturbed this week by two different entities who continue to send me mail even though I have unsubscribed – at least twice to both! One, I’ve attempted to unsubscribe no less than 4 times via their stated channels at the base of their email. And, still I get emails… month after month. Before calling upon our finest at the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), I figured I’d give them one final email to request an unsubscribe (to a personal email box at the entity) noting my multiple attempts to unsubscribe. Funny thing is that I remember an email being sent by one of the members about 2 years ago (to all) screaming about how s/he has asked to unsubscribe multiple times to no avail. So, they blasted the group shaming them. I feel their pain.

As someone who mails out messages via lists (multiple ones) I take it very seriously. I try not to clog anyone’s box with someone I wouldn’t want myself. I also respect everyone’s time management and changing interests and welcome unsubscribes (although I am also sorry to see them go).

Businesses and entities don’t realize how their failed systems, or lack of care for members needs, jeopardizes them far greater than an email communication. When we ask for assistance or make a request and its not handled we lose faith in the products and services of that entity. We also get disgusted at their poor oversight and management. Do you dare think we’d entertain using them in the future… for anything?

Keep cleaning those in boxes. Unsubscribe and note who and when you unsubscribed to a list. If you get another communication, directly email someone related to that group and share your experience and second your request. If that doesn’t work check out the FCC website and file a complaint.

No comments: