Sunday, January 3, 2010

Do it for your employees or for your clients. Pick one.

I was very disappointed this week when I called a favorite beauty destination to book a few appointments and learned they are on a week’s vacation.

Now, I understand many professions taking a week off during the holiday season- especially those who find business slow during that time. But, the beauty industry should never be off. Well, okay, I suppose between 9 PM and 7 AM its ok.

Beauty is huge business. And, women and men who are faithful patrons of such places depend on them more than their attorneys or accountants. Really. Sick, perhaps but true.

Knowing my salon the way I do, having built a relationship with them for almost 10 years now, I sadly know the reason they were closing… micromanaging got the best of them. It’s the “if I’m not there the place will explode without me” syndrome. If one of the senior owners isn’t in place to run the show… there simply can’t be a show. Sad. Very Sad. And, bad for business. Extremely bad for the beauty business.

“What about me?” I cry. When eye-brows need waxed…. honey, they need waxed. It’s not a “wait a week” kind of need. Not only did these salon owners fail to consider her clients, she failed to consider the missed income of her employees.

Now, let me express this strongly, I do believe it is totally acceptable (and good practice) to close a salon IF IT WAS FOR THE BENEFIT OF THE EMPLOYEES. If you run a salon where everyone wants to take off a particular week- GO FOR IT. Support them by making it happen- and tell all of your clients about it 60 days in advance. (Die hards are usually at the salon at least once during that cycle and that notice will be appreciated.)

But, in my case, I am 99% positive it was micromanaging syndrome that got the best of these owners. It sends the message that they don’t really care about clients (they have other customer service issues I won’t bore you with here), put themselves before their dedicated and loyal employees, and don’t trust any of their managers.

Bah Humbug.

Good thing this city has a gazillion beauty bars. My eyebrows are thankful too.

Do what is best for your employees and your clients. Even if that means you have to let go a little… it may just feel good after you do it a few times.

No comments: