Sunday, September 20, 2009

Know When to Say When....




Being back in Philly… it was incredible.

I lived in Philadelphia from 1993-1997 while attending Temple University. I lived in North, West and then the art museum area. I loved it. Sure, it had its ups and downs but I loved it. I always said if I found a great job back there I would have returned.

Fast forward 12 years later. I went to Philadelphia last week for a few reasons: the PA Governor’s Conference for Women on Thursday, a book signing at the Big Blue Marble Bookstore in Mt. Airy on Friday and to meet Flavius Jankauaskas, a hero in my book World War II Radio Heroes, on Saturday. Plus I planned to hit some of the old stomping grounds.

My trip was filled with mixed emotions. I walked some of the same paths I had taken years before. Now, with more money- so I splurged on restaurants I could have never afforded to go to as a student. But, with the same sense of uncertainty. Then it was about where I’d go from here. Now, it was about what I had hoped Philly would do for me today.

I must confess that safety was an issue for me. Likely because when I lived there I was attacked. I had recovered, what I thought, was relatively quickly from it but nevertheless a feeling of security avoided me while I was there trying to visit the random sections of the city I had once known. I am also less accustomed to vagrancy as it exists in Philadlelphia. I live in a city-dwelling of Pittsburgh yet am removed from most homelessness and begging as I encountered in Philly.

And, the city seemed far younger than I was comfortable with. Everyone was out for a night on the town while I walked or rode in the taxi solo. I just wanted an outstanding meal- minus the shots of jagermeister and the flirtation of the guy next to me.

I visited one of the old homes I occupied while living there. It seemed littered and sad. Not the youthful, hip, open-door place I had recalled.

I could go on.. but perhaps over a coffee one day I’ll tell you the rest.

Final note: the SEPTA smelled. Not necessarily bad, just smelled. I passed an entrance and quickly recalled the familiar odor. It didn’t repulse me but it did jog my memory to only that which it was- SEPTA. I rode it again for old times. Yep, got lost again- bad directions from one of the cashiers.

Okay, one more, just because I’m feeling moody about this… This was the only place in the world I have asked 3 people to take a picture of me and a friend and heard the word “NO”. They acted as if I was trying to sell them something. It was rude. I’ve journeyed all over this beautiful world and this is how my beloved city of Philadelphia treated me.

I share this because I am enthralled with the experience. But I also share it as a coaching moment, believe it or not.

REALIZE WHEN YOU’VE OUTGROWN A PLACE.
REALIZE WHEN A PLACE CAN NO LONGER LIVE UP TO YOUR POTENTIAL.
KNOW WHEN TO SAY WHEN.
GROW UP.

I have. Philly is no longer that place I dream about returning. It’s that place I may enjoy heading back to for a couple days with a friend but not more than that. Thanks Philly for being what you were when I needed you to be that.

Now, let’s focus on the G-20 coming to Pittsburgh this week.

No comments: