Friday, August 21, 2009

What’s Your Love Language?

Do you know which of the five love languages is yours? How about your partners?

It’s a good idea to explore Chapman’s book, The Five Love Languages, to better understand what love looks and feels like to you. Its an easy way to identify, specifically, how you need to be loved to feel “full”.

My husband and I took a course on the Five Love Languages before we got married. We weren’t in any crisis. We just love to learn. And, we are committed to learning about and with one another.

I learned that he and I share a love language, quality time. We both see it as imperitive to spend a lot of quality time together. I also learned that I am a bi-lingual. The Love Language, affection, was also at the top of my list. Being touched and having affection shown to me is as equally important as spending quality time. Gifts were, on the other hand, not even on my priority radar. (Not that I don’t enjoy them!) J They simply don’t equate to LOVE for me. They don’t FILL me with a sense of being loved. They may you- and that’s why you’d want to learn about the Five Love Languages.

My husband and I fostered our understanding of one another through this course. We realized what was super important and what was less important to always keeping one another filled with a sense of being loved. The book can help you in any stage of your relationship (new, challenged, near divorce, post-divorce, etc…)

Who doesn’t LOVE that?

Note: The book is in the biblical genre. You don’t need to be religious to read or understand it. I encourage you to enjoy it for the journey it will take you on.

No comments: