Sunday, August 23, 2009

A Dose of Reality is Always Good

As my longtime readers know, I read the New York Times daily (thanks Matt P for drilling the importance of this into my head in 1998). For me, it shares the habitual stage with the likes of Inc, Fast Company, and Real Simple. These reads each satisfy different parts of me and they keep me sharp …and regular.

Last week the NY Times had several articles that became dinner-table talk in my house. One was titled The Women’s Crusade. It was a lengthy, high quality article about how women and girls can and will save the world- if we let them. It details the plights of women all over the globe.

Some of the stories were heart wrenching. Others offered a sense of optimism unparalleled in any story I’ve heard of late.

If you are a woman, a girl or know one… read the article before it falls off the online pages. It was a real dose of reality that may enlighten you in ways you could only imagine. Click on the title bar of this blog and it should take you there. Otherwise, search on the New York Times homepage.

As a coach, I encourage you to have a daily, weekly and monthly reading list. And, make time for it. You need to feed your brain with activities outside your office and your home, often. Read to learn. Learn to grow. Grow to be your best each day.

No comments: