Sunday, August 16, 2009

What’s Wasting Your Time?


Imagine I told you that you could go on your “dream vacation” but you had to leave in 1 hour. Aside from wanting your bags packed appropriately, what would you spend your hour doing?

You wouldn’t believe the things you can get done in a crunch. And, each one has to be weighed by how high a priority it is. The lower ones, they fall of the face of the earth in that next hour. (Fantastic!)

When you are about to do a task I encourage you to ask yourself the following questions:

  • Do I really need to do this? If yes, what purpose does it serve?
  • Does it need to be done today or can it go on the schedule next week?
  • How does doing this task make me look GREAT? (Hint, if it doesn’t you may not need to do it)
  • Can someone else do it? Better? Cheaper?
  • What have I done in the last hour for myself?
  • What have I done in the last hour towards achieving my goals?

You’d be amazed at how many things can drop off your “to do” list and never have an impact! Let them go! Feel relieved and rewarded with some extra time on your hands to do important or worth-while things.

Bonus challenge: Make a list of worth-while activities and why they are worth-while. When confronting a task, check to see if it’s on your list. Ask yourself the questions above and drop it if you can. Then, do a worth-while activity to celebrate your “harnessing your time!”

No comments: