Monday, December 29, 2008

Winning Attributes

I've observed thousands of people over the years, as part of my work and as part of my natural interest in learning and observing behavior. I've come to identify limiting as well as successful attributes and behaviors in people. I examine and refine this list to benefit my clients as well as myself. I'll share a few examples with you today- as we prepare for our new year and to be our best selves.

Be Social- in a good and balanced way- and you'll be rewarded with great relationships
Believe it or not I was a shy child in many respects. At the age of 12 I realized that to build relationships with others you need to be social. As an only child that didn't come naturally to me. I had to work at it. And, I had to work hard to discover how to do it well and in a balanced way. I remember at one point getting it very wrong- and believing that I had to give people my toys to have them like me. There were a lot of growing pains.

Be a Great Networker to promote yourself, your business and help others
I had a friend who seemed to know everyone. She could solve any problem by picking up the phone. She was a giver. A helper. I admired her. I was in my early 20's when I met her in Philadelphia. I knew then that she was on to something with her incredible social skills. I later came to see that it was networking at its best. I mirrored her in the things she did and began to harness my own abilities as a networker.

Observe Others to be Your Best
Look to other people to see how you can improve. I'm not suggesting that you compete and compare yourself with others to the point of losing who you are- however, I am advocating that you step away from yourself to examine attributes of others that could enhance who you are. You can teach an old dog new tricks! You can become and do things that you haven't before. You can live your life the way you want to. It truly is a personal choice that you have to become the person you want to be- free of any limitations that have been set at your doorstep in days before. One small example of this is public speaking. If you would like to be better at it there are groups you can join, books you can read, coaches you can hire, etc.... Thousands of people harness this skill every year. You are no different. You can become a great speaker if you want to.

I wish you health, happiness and prosperity in 2009!

No comments: