Monday, June 16, 2008

Not Everyone Likes You: Get over it

In a perfect world we'd like everyone to like us and buy our products or services (or hire us). However, as intelligent beings with some business and life experiences, we know this isn't the case.

People like us for different reasons. People will take interest in our product, service (or want to hire us) for different reasons. People are finicky.

You can control 9 out of 10 variables that make people like you. But you can't control them all. You also can't gage exactly what each customer, boss, spouse, etc.. will want at every given moment. You can do well in your guessing. But, don't aim for perfection. You'll be sorely disappointed.

Don't weigh your success on everyone liking you or buying what you have to offer. Weigh your success on your accomplishments, your testimonials from those you work with and for, your attitude and your value to those you aim to serve.

I'll give you a loose example:

I just received (June 2008) my first less-than-stellar book review since publishing in December 2007. At first, by nature, I was put off. But 30 seconds later I laughed out loud. What kind of author would I be or what kind of book would I have WITHOUT at least one bad review? It wouldn't be real without at least one! I felt as though I had arrived as an author. The review brought me to a place I had not been- it made me feel something. These non-fans keep it real for us.

Do what you do- for you and for a very targeted audience. What you do is not for EVERYONE. Let's leave that work to the politicians.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are so right, it is impossible to please everyone or even to please a few all the time.

Not even politicians try to, they just want to please enough people to get elected.