Friday, June 27, 2008

Let's talk or rather THINK WASTE

As you know, I often use my blog to share my own thoughts of the week. This is one of those blogs.

This week I've had a number of enlightening moments. I've thought more about the bigger picture than just the day to day, ins and outs of my workweek. I try to build this reflection time into my time, often. After all, many of my clients come to me because they want to focus on the bigger picture rather than the day to day affairs.

One of this week's epiphanies came when I thought about the many environmental issues in the news and on many of our minds. I don't' consider myself an environmentalists. I never really thought about labeling myself in that regard. But, I can see the draw. I respect the movement and what it hopes to do.

I thought about my own waste. (I often work with people on wasted time or energy.) I realized that I produce an average amount of waste (garbage) for the households on my block. But, it still is too much. I thought back to the landfill photos I've seen in my life. I asked myself, "if the garbage you put out each week (for the waste management staff to pick up) had to remain in your backyard for 3 months (let alone 3 years!), how would that change what you throw away?" It would significantly change the way I viewed garbage. I decided that I need to be more cognizant of what I discard, where it is going and how long it will have to be there.

This thought process then took me to the tiny things I can do in my own home to reduce my waste. For instance, I use paper over, until both sides are used/printed on. (Because I do like to print things to read- and haven't yet gotten in the habit of only reading on the computer screen.) I also use the library more often to borrow rather than own many of my reading materials, music cds, and movies. And, I pay attention to water usage in my home- in all ways and attempt to reduce water consumption.

The list could go on but I have to now get in the car and drive to an appointment (and yes, I've also rethought my driving routines).

I encourage you to think about the bigger picture this week. Any picture. Just think outside your day to day life and ponder something. Then, share your thoughts with someone and have a discussion about it.

Thanks for allowing me to share my thoughts via this blog. Remember, your coach is also a normal gal who has experiences like the rest of you.

No comments: