Tuesday, December 21, 2010

A Great Read in a Million Miles

A dear friend of mine gave me Donald Miller's book titled A Million Miles in a Thousand Years. I am absolutely loving it. She gave it to me because she said she could hear me saying the things he says in the book. She also thought that as a coach, I may want to share it with my clients. She was right.

Miller's writing is easy on the brain without complexities or jargon. He's hysterically funny. But most importantly he reminds us that our life is our story. Stories have meaningful plots and events. Yet, many of us live without great meaning and our stories are boring. But, we can change that. Your story is yours to write and edit.

Miller talks about his uncle in the book. He (the uncle) dies. His life was full of meaning and giving. Miller talks about a good life, a good story, often feels cut short in death. While lives that weren't filled with great meaning don't grip us the same in death. It doesn't mean we don't love the deceased, it just feels different. I hope my life feels cut short, even if I die at 101. I hope to live with meaning and purpose each and every year I have here on earth. Don't you?

I recall a women's project I did years ago. I asked the women in my life to tell me about moments or events that were of great meaning to them. I did the exercise myself then too. It resonates with what Miller opens his book with. There are some people who have meaning and purpose or attempt to identify it often and then those who don't. The good news is that if you or someone you know is in the latter group, you can change. You can begin a purposeful and meaningful journey today.

I'm only on chapter fourteen but I look forward to next and the next and the next after that.

If you are open to examining your life- and you like some humor along the way- pick up Miller's book. Then let me know what you think of it.

1 comment:

Ami said...

I really enjoyed Donald Miller's Blue Like Jazz, so I'm sure I'll like this one as well. It's been on my To-Be-Read list for a while now. :)

Have a great Christmas and a Happy New Year! Talk to you in 2011.