Friday, October 23, 2009

"Why are there Socks in Your Purse?"

Throughout the year I take stock in all that I have. Doing so allows me to limit the “I want…” language and increase the “I have …” Usually at the top of my list is some reference to my mental faculties. I’m sure that being a psychologist has given me the special gift of appreciation for mental stability that most people take for granted. Waking each day and being able to make choices about my life, with some sense of clarity I hope, gives me joy. Its part of why I coach others. Some lose sight of their choices or they feel overwhelmed by them. I help remedy those situations.

Along those lines is the wonderful ability to learn. So many of us stop learning or at least actively doing it or practicing it. We get into routines that direct our lives without much thought or creativity. Think about it…. What is the last thing you learned? What have you changed about your habits or routine?

The socks… I’m getting there.

So, the other week I was preparing for a doctors visit, the OB-GYN to be specific. (I can hear the groans now. Don’t stop reading. The story is clean I assure you.) I am always cold at the doctor’s office- no matter which office, no matter which city I’ve lived. I’m always cold. Yet, it was warm outside, warranting light clothing, sandals, no hose or socks. It was as though the “aha” light bulb went off. I could take socks with me! It was like a best girlfriend was yelling it from the heavens. What a novel idea! Take what you’ll need to comfort yourself later. Brilliant.

I’ve been going to the doctor and shivering, much of my life. Why now, at 36, did it dawn on me to take socks? Who cares! It did. The fact is that I identified a problem and then figured it out! Who cares that I was a little late in doing so. You know what they say…. Better late than…

I suggest you try to find solutions to the pains that exist in your life and your activities. Think beyond the routine. The solutions may be simple, as mine was, or it could be wildly creative and complex. Use your brain. Be thankful for it and its abilities. It’s a beautiful thing.

No comments: