Sunday, October 11, 2009

Are Your Employees Ready to be Busy?

My husband and I go to the same bagel shop every weekend. Sometimes, both weekend mornings. And, sometimes we even go for coffee on a weekday. We really enjoy the place. We grab our usual seats by the window and settle in for an hour or longer.

The food and service are usually pretty consistent. Random times we have to wonder if our bagels were really toasted or if we gave them the wrong order- resulting in a little different outcome than we expected. (smile) But, we grin and roll with it. We are very agreeable customers- at least I think so.

This morning, however, was “one to take the cake or bagel” so to speak. It was wildly busy (which does happen during every shift). We stood in line for about 15 minutes. No big deal. We were up for it. I said my usual, “hello” to the new-ish clerk behind the counter when she looked up at us in exhaustion. I got a tepid “hi” back. She took our order and I sensed trouble. She didn’t seem as familiar with the system as the seasoned clerks we know so well.

15-20 minutes later my bagel came out. By itself. It did not accompany my potatoes nor was my husband’s meal in sight. 10 minutes later, my husband inquired as my bagel sat quietly cooling to room temp, loosing the lovely gooiness that the peanut butter possesses on a warm one. “It’s coming,” the newbie said before he opened his mouth. He sat back down. 10 minutes later he inquired again. “It’s coming.” Finally we saw it across the room. My potatoes still missing in action. Later they emerged- cool to the touch. While my husband was up at the counter asking them to toast his 40+ minute late meal, I was quickly behind him with my potatoes. Now I was perturbed. It took 5 minutes for anyone to pay any attention but when they did I asked for a fresh batch of potatoes- and ones without a foreign object (a mushroom or piece of meat) in them. I think she rolled her eyes.

I could go on with the story but I’ll spare you as I had hoped to be spared myself.

The gist is that even loyal customers are not going to forgive bad service. TRAIN YOUR STAFF to recognize busy atmospheres from a customer’s perspective. They pay the same price and expect the same consistency in service and food quality. They pay more in fact, because they are willing to wait in lines and wait a little longer for HOT food.

We understand the stress level is higher during busy times. We know you are working hard. But, we are still your customers. We do have the right to expect a few things from you- even when you are busy.

I really wanted to say, “I am really sorry that you are so busy.” But, I don’t know that any of them would have gotten the real meaning of my statement.

We’ll find another favorite. Thanks. I take my money too seriously to tolerate bad service and bad food.

No comments: