Friday, May 8, 2009

Salute to a Mother's Sacrifice

It would be remiss of me to not blog about my mother as we near Mother’s Day 2009.

If you’ve ever heard me speak, you’ve likely heard me speak about my mother. I attribute every great thing I am, have done or will do, to her parenting. All the bad things…. Well they must be from the father I never met. (insert smile here)

I was raised by a single mother. She got pregnant with me very young. Her hopes of one day becoming a nurse were drawn to a close as she made plans to try to raise me the best she could. I had a great life growing up. She experienced many hard times, but I was mostly oblivious to it. I knew we didn’t have much money but money was not the mainstay of a child’s life. We lived in a row of little houses and duplexes with other single parents and an abundance of children to play with. My childhood memories are very happy. I was spoiled rotten- with love.

My mother often worked a full and part time job during her life to make ends meet. I’ll never forget the day I went to her part-time job (dishwasher at a large department store that no longer exists) to tell her I got into Temple University. (She hadn’t even known I applied.) I remember the shock, the joy and the tears. She was elated that her only child was going to college. But, she was also numb with the prospect of me asking for her to help pay for it. I never did ask. I wouldn’t have dared. She had done quite enough to give me the tools I would need to be successful. Now it was my turn to show her how much I learned. I learned successful and rewarding life strategies each and every day in her shadow.

My hat is off to my mom and every mom out there who has sacrificed for her child/ren.

Remember, being perfect is overrated. We don’t want or expect mothers to do that. We just hope you show us your best so we can learn it and one day show it to someone too.

No comments: