Monday, August 30, 2010

The Freedom of Asking

Some may wonder how a 21 year old, who has never flown in an airplane, gathers the courage to fly to Rome and live for a summer- without knowing a soul. Or, how she chooses to attend a graduate program overseas- again without knowing a soul. The truth of the matter is that this young woman has lived her life with a belief in two things: (1) people are mostly good and (2) they will help you when you need it. That woman is me and I still believe in these two notions.

My freedom to travel the world came when I learned how to ask for help, and it was received. Try it sometime. Ask a stranger for directions. Ask someone to help you carry something heavy. Ask someone for advice. MOST people will gladly help you. We like to help- it makes us feel good about ourselves. Give us that opportunity.

I took advantage of this notion this week when I sent out a SOS message to a few gal pals who have little babes of their own at home. I needed some advice on sleeping for my 6-week old. Within minutes, my phone was lighting up and my email was buzzing. The messages of hope and encouragement are still coming in. You gotta love that.

Some people have a hard time asking others for various reasons. But I dare you to shed yourself of that inhibition and ask- ask for what you need. You'll likely find a smiling person on the other end, happy to help you. And, if you don't, don't give up. Ask someone else. You've just unfortunately had a run in with the less than 20% curmudgeon population we share the earth with. Believe it or not, they need help too - but they will likely never ask for it. Don't be one of them.

No comments: