Monday, June 7, 2010

You Can't Mask an Ass (Yes, you read that right!)


Although I don't mean to offend I needed to get your attention. (This is an actual device I found in an antique store in Reno NV. I couldn't resist taking a quick photo!)

As most of you know I write about things that happen to me, things I've contemplated or things clients have asked me about. This time it was a personal interaction on the street that lead me to rant.


Short version... a man nearly plowed into me on the street because he wasn't paying attention (and didn't see a woman 8 months pregnant in front of him, go figure... I'm not that fast these days). As he narrowly missed me I smelled his sweet (and strong) cologne. I also noticed how nicely he was dressed. He clearly cares about the impression he makes on others. So, how about an "Excuse me." Or better yet, eyes ahead of you ready to smile at a stranger rather than down on your blackberry or looking for a penny in the sidewalk cracks!

Don't spend your time and money worrying about your impression if you can't cover the basics. Be nice. Be memorable- for the right reasons. Smile. Say "thank you," "please," and "excuse me" when it's right. Tell someone how nice they look rather than wait for their comment about you. Be the person your mother hoped you'd turn into. The rest is just eye (and nose) candy.

No comments: