Tuesday, June 29, 2010

An Example of GREAT Customer Service

My best friend Tara and I are real sticklers for good customer service. We met as teenagers working in a music retail business. We learned how important service was to the survival and enjoyment of the industry. Too bad many others haven't. Her and I often discuss good and BAD examples of customer service. Today, I am happy to report I have a GREAT customer service story to share- and one we should all mimic if we have a business.

I ordered a half a dozen items from diapers.com last week. Ironically, I tried to order some of the same items from amazon.com but ran into tons of shipping charges due to the vendors being third-party and not the actual company amazon.com. So, I moved my items over to diapers.com for the free shipping offer.

The ordering process, online, was easy. Interface was user friendly. Prices were competitive. All good. My order was confirmed within minutes and arrived within 36 hours. Great. Then, as I was unpacking some items a few days later I noticed that one small element was missing from one of my sealed boxes. It was actually an element I could care less about (not the essential items of the purchase but a 'bonus' item that was supposed to be included). Nonetheless, I made a mental note to call or email them in the coming days.

This morning, before 8 AM, it dawned on me to call them. At first thought, I figured they'd not be open yet - at least on the phone lines. But, what the heck, let's be a tad optimistic. Not only were they open, I got a live person within a very short time. Monique was her name. Pleasant and lovely. I explained that one of my items failed to include a small component. She swiftly apologized and developed a plan to get me a new box (complete new box with all of the contents). She said she first would call the warehouse to ensure my replacement box had each item it was supposed to and then she would email me back. She did better than that. She called me within the hour to confirm that my replacement was complete in its entirety and would be shipped today. I asked if I was to return the original box and original contents to her upon receiving the replacement. "No," she said. I was to keep it- with their apologies.

Tonight I see from my email that my order has shipped from diapers.com.

No hassle. No intrusive questions. No problems. Just good old customer service that makes me smile. Thank Monique. Thanks diapers.com. You have a fan in me.

Now, are you that good to your customers? Be honest when you answer that question. Heck, I'm even willing to be your mystery shopper if you want to put your staff to the test.

Happy servicing to you all.

1 comment:

katty said...

Thanks for sharing us your experience. Good customer service is really essential for any business to survive in this competitive market. They said that if you expect good cash flow in your business you must give your customers a good customer service. Anyways, thumbs up for those who gave good service! They deserve free publicity..
Small Business Answering service