Friday, April 23, 2010

Take Time to Evaluate Your Relationships

I was once engaged to a man I never married. He was lovely and wonderful in many ways. But, the decision to end the engagement didn’t come from an argument or a fundamental disagreement in lifestyle. It was a simple question that I posed to myself one day.

“Do I love him more than I believe I have the capacity to love another?”

You see, I wasn’t, as most do, going to just compare this love to ones previous. That seemed too simple and in fact would only cheat myself in the long run. I had to try to imagine what the possibilities for love were and to somehow compare what I had with those possibilities. Hard I know, but believe it or not, the answer came quickly. “No, I didn’t.” I truly believed that a greater love existed in the world. Whether or not I’d find it, that was going to have to be a gamble … or maybe a prayer. But, I couldn’t settle. I think most people do that and I didn’t want to be like most people. Most people seem really unhappy too- why on earth would that be a crowd I wanted to be in?

As spring has arrived and newness is on your lawn and, hopefully, in your heart, I challenge you to take a look at your relationships and ask yourself some tough and some not-so-tough questions. They don’t have to be the same question I asked myself. Make up your own. Do your own evaluation.

If you are willing to share, I’d love to hear what you asked and what you answered.

Wishing you healthful and happy relationships, everyday.

No comments: