Tuesday, March 16, 2010

5 Big Do's for Your Career Search

Sadly, it needs to be repeated.

1. Know how your resume will look to them. This means, if you send a pdf, look at it first, how does it look? If you send it through a newspaper, know what format it comes out on the other end. Physically, how does your resume look to the person who makes the decision if you go on to the next round.

2. Include a cover letter and make it personal. When I work with companies, I bin (AKA throw it in the trash QUICKLY) any resume without a cover letter. And, believe it or not, many come through that way. Include a cover that shows me you spent time reading the job description and doing your homework on the company. And, hey, make me like you or at least be interested enough to move you to the next round.

3. Include an objective or something to make me see that you want THIS job in THIS industry. Take 30-seconds to refine it for each job you submit for.

4. Match the resume to the position you want. If I ask for someone who can manage a team of distributed people tell me about your experience doing that. Specifically, tell me how many, where they were and how you managed them. Make it easy for me to say yes to you.

5. Send it in via Email and Hard Copy Mail. The competition is fierce. Be assertive. DON'T EMAIL IT IN 5 TIMES... I'd bin you for annoying me.

Email me for 5 more tips. Happy Hunting.

No comments: