Monday, December 21, 2009

Write Your Volunteerism and Charitable Contributions into Your 2010 Goals

This year for Christmas I gave the pot away. I took all of the money I would have spent on gifts for people- gifts they’d likely not remember 2 months later- and donated it to my favorite charity. Each person on my gift list received a holiday card with a note inside describing where their gift cash went.

It felt great to do that. It also had the bonus of freeing me up from not having to join the stampede at the mall or fret over gift-giving this year. A win-win.

As you write you goals for 2010, I encourage you to include your acts of charity. It could be a donation, decide how much and when to stick to it. It could be volunteering your time or family’s time, note how much time per week or month and what tasks you’ll likely be doing. Also, make sure to write about and share why this is important to you. How does it enrich your life to give to others? That after all, is probably the most important lesson you can pass on to your friends, family and colleagues.

Be giving in 2010. Give what you can. Map it out now so you have some direction... and simply to start the year off right.



Happy holidays.

No comments: