Thursday, February 28, 2008

Allow a Coach a Little Rant Now and Then

I'm only human. I, too, have opinions that I really am bursting to share that fall outside of the coaching sphere. Please allow me a few minutes.

Health care- the demon that it is.

I'm not one that goes on about a universal health care system. I lived in the UK and took part in their system and found it to be adequate but I've not designed or even in concept dreamed up a perfect system for the U.S. I've always worked (since the age of 12) and since the age of 18 have always carried health care via my workplace or paid for it independently- without much gripes.

But fast forward to today. 2008. I'm a budding entrepreneur who has achieved a fair amount of success in several fields and I enjoy my work immensely. I pay for my health care monthly and don't mind the cost- with few exceptions. (they barely cover me unless I'm in a catastrophe and customer service is appalling- oh and did I mention they don't cover me if I get SICK?)

I needed to make an appointment for an annual exam. Although they will likely only pay $10 for such exam (my exaggeration is coming alive- watch out) I still wanted to use them as we are supposed to. So, I checked the website and found 50 people in my area (a medium size city) who are a part of my health care plan and can complete my exam. I made my long and short lists via my discriminators and then called the top 5. One only takes cancer patients. Ironic because cancer isn't covered by my insurance FOR ME although I am at an elevated risk. She won't take me because I don't have cancer (perhaps YET is the word to insert here). Another can't get me in until June (its February). .. the ugliness continues. Finally, one of my five can take me within a month and I can only hope that I like her. Wish me luck. Also wish me luck for finding parking - for there is none around her.

All of this chaos has forced me to adopt a goal for 2008 (my 2008 plan which I designed in Winter of 2007). I resolve to pay outright for my health care rather than be abused by insurance companies and pay them for such abuse. I hope to institute this goal by the end of 2008 or 2009 at the latest. But, I promise you this, this goal will be a major goal area of mine until it is achieved. I encourage people to be grounded in the rationale for their goals. This one will NOT be a problem for me. I am angry and insulted enough to make it happen.

Your coach-
Lisa (a human with issues like everyone else)

1 comment:

Rich said...

You can rant ! Especially when it comes to the health system. What amazes me is hearing another set of politicians (democrat and republicans) that says that she or he has a solution to the health care. No solution can be implemented unless all the present insurance companies are willing to take a hit in their profits. And there are too many lobbyists in DC that will try and stop any attempt to create a national health system. Once again ... money talks !!!