Friday, June 22, 2012

Does S/He Have What It Takes? Your Employees.

This week I’ve been visiting preschools for my daughter. Some geared more toward working class people and others more nose-to-the-air type (I say that because who else could afford what they ask). I’m open to either… you never know when you find the right place, right people, right curriculum…. But it must be a beautiful confluence of all of them for me to sign on.

As nature would have it, the working class schools have impressed me most. In fact, at one of the “three times as much” schools, the tour guide (who is likely paid on a commission scale if I’d have to guess) lied to me about the qualifications of their teachers. At the beginning of the tour it was one answer and when specifically speaking of the prospective teacher for my daughter, it was another answer. I had to respectfully address the inconsistency- to which she just danced around it… twice. Not to mention she was as superficially interested as anyone can come and couldn’t be less helpful (I had a 6 month old in my hands and a toddler who loves taking her shoes off mid-walk). Ugh… I don’t think so, thank you.

Now I’m certain that if/when I speak with the owner (a businessman not an educator) of this particular “school” he will be apologetic about my experience (at least I hope to God so) and surprised when I share my impressions of his “sales person”.

I share this with you in so much as to say, if you have sales people or people that are in positions to influence a buy or a non-buy of your service/product, make sure they possess the right characteristics. Also, it should go without mention, but make sure they exude integrity, honest and respect for those they interact with. These are bare minimums, but they seem to allude so many so often. Hirers beware.

No comments: