Friday, February 17, 2012

Getting Started in the Gym.... Baby Steps

Instead of a weekly coaching moment, I'm offering something that I've recently reminded myself of. Most of you who know me know that I've battled weight much of my life. I've won and lost more than 50 lbs at times, and then the weight crept back on over a few years. Now with two children under my belt, quite literally, in less than 18 months, I'm back on the saddle (so to speak). And, it feels great. Only 4 gym visits down but I feel amazing already- and committed.

Here's my suggestions/reminders to those of you who need some motivation:
  • Rome wasn't built in a day. Don't overdo it and don't expect to have that awesome bod in a week or month.
  • Start slow but start.
  • Go to the gym on a regular schedule. I'm opting for every other day and being open to bumping that up in the future, but this is the minimum.
  • Do something at the gym, even if it is only for 15 minutes. Yes, I said that. The commute may take you longer than the time you are there, but make sure you get there and do something. It could be a moderate walk on the treadmill. (Don't let anyone intimidate you. They all started somewhere too.)
  • Work on forming the habit then work on perfecting the actions.
  • Get yourself some good shoes and a comfortable outfit (or two). Feeling good in what you are wearing will help feel good and not feel self conscious.
  • Work smart. If you can, hire a trainer- one who's been there and respects your journey (make sure they aren't going to try to kill you and decrease your motivation to go- I've had this happen).
  • As you form the habit of going, you'll become more comfortable with the layout of the gym, equipment, and your abilities.
  • Increase your workouts by time and effort.
  • Set goals.
  • If you want more recommendations or suggestions, email me.
Here's to your health,
Lisa