Friday, February 4, 2011

Why Freecycle is Not for Me

I was chatting with another mom, who I greatly admire, and we were comparing notes. What we do. What services we use. Etc... You know how it goes. She mentioned they "freecycle". I had heard of it before but never signed up for the free program. So, I did- based on her recommendation.

I was on it a mere few hours when I realized it was not for me. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a FANTASTIC resource and it clearly works for hundreds if not thousands of people within an area. But for me... I don't think so. Here's why:
  • I value my time too much. To use this resource and "win" an offer you have to be lightning fast. Anything that isn't a size 48 men's brief goes within minutes. (I made that up by the way.) So, if like me, you subscribe to the daily digest to receive 1 email versus dozens- you'll see in the digest the offer AND THE RECEIVED of the same item.
  • I realize that I highly value the foundation and philosophy of freecycle and already participate. I donate all of my goods (that would otherwise end up in a landfill if I threw them away, yet they are perfectly usable) to Vietnam Veterans of America at least monthly. So, I give. The receiving part of this isn't exactly FREEcycle but I shop at recycled goods locations, consignment shops and thrift stores. So, I receive in a way that works for me and fits my budget too. I don't need free but I do enjoy reused and recycled with a partial price tag of the new value.
But maybe Freecycle is for you. Check them out: http://www.freecycle.org/

Vietnam Veterans of America (picks up at your home and provides a tax receipt): http://www.pickupplease.org/vva/veterans-donation.aspx?gclid=CKiM4bak76YCFUmo4AodkHg4IA

And my favorite consignment shop for babies and children: http://www.onceuponachildmonroeville.com/

Happy shopping and giving. Find what works for you.

2 comments:

Ami said...

Hi Lisa! I joined freecycle a few years ago when I first got my house. I thought I would be able to snag stuff that I needed pretty easily, but you're right, I rarely "won" an item. I did, however, find it was an easy way to get rid of things that normally wouldn't be taken at a Goodwill or other charity but that I didn't want to just throw away or recycle, such as washed plastic containers (think cottage cheese dishes), old issues of magazines, and cleaning supplies (I was switching to more natural cleaners and didn't want to just throw away what I had). While I don't actively participate in the receiving part of freecycle anymore, I did get some great stuff (a bread machine, for instance) that I would never have purchased on my own but am happy to own now. And I still post the occasional give away that I don't have time to take to the Goodwill or that the Goodwill wouldn't make use of. I'm careful not to waste my time scanning the freecycle emails anymore, though, and am more likely to do a "wanted" post if I'm looking for something specific.

Lisa Spahr- Helping People and Businesses Grow said...

Excellent comment Ami. Yes, I think you are right. Use it for the "offer" that you have that you need to get rid of, or use a "curb alert" via craigslist for something that may be a hot item. I never thought of giving away my old cleaning supplies via freecycle! Great idea. I gave them to my mother, who still uses more traditional cleaners. Like you, I switched cleaning solutions house-wide. Thanks for posting.